Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Work Week Reflection

Having heard of Work Week just last minute, I was immediately intrigued and found that it would be a wonderful opportunity to assist in Harrisburg's recovery after the destructive tornado (the idea of being able to avoid your typical case of summer boredom was also a bonus!). However, I had no idea of what to expect; completely oblivious, I imagined that Harrisburg would still be in ruins once we arrived. Although certain parts of Harrisburg were still damaged, I was surprised to find how much of the town had redeemed itself since the storm. I spent most of my days removing extra "scraps" (metal, glass, and wood pieces) from yards, and hauling old shingles into dumpsters. Overall, I was very impressed to see how much Harrisburg had improved in just a few months time, but also glad that our group was able to help! I was also inspired by all of the energetic youth who actively partook in these activities as well. Last but not least, I want to thank my parents and siblings for their constant support during my work here!

Congratulations to all of the 2012 Project STORM participants, we had a very successful week! Thank you for an amazing opportunity to help, I had a fantastic time and was glad to make new friends (see picture)!
Hope to join in and see you all at the next Work Week,
Hildegard Luijten

1 comment:

  1. I remember talking on the way down in the car about our uncertain expectations about what Harrisburgh would be like, Hildegarde, and your fervent hope to be of help. It is amazing that the town has recovered so well in a short time. To see such physical change might make you feel as if your help was not needed. I am glad that you saw that you did make a difference. The work and stress these folks have had to experience must have been exhausting and sometimes overwhelming. I am pleased that your week has been good and that it included new friendships. I was so happy to have gotten to know you!

    ReplyDelete